Re-Elect Fred Tovar for City Gilroy Council
Press release: Fred M. Tovar, M.Ed.: Why I’m Running for Reelection To Gilroy City Council
I am excited and proud to officially announce my candidacy for reelection for Gilroy City Council. I look forward to continuing to represent everyone in Gilroy equally. My positive campaign will be run with a focus on the future of our community. With integrity and honesty in all my interactions, I treat all that I encounter with the utmost respect regardless of differences in opinions.
It has been a great privilege to serve my community for the past four years. I am running for a 2nd term on the City Council to continue to develop the future of our community, ensure its alignment with your values, be your voice and represent your views as well as support the vision that you have for the future of your family, your business and yourself. I have previous Council experience and proven leadership from this past term and a genuine passion for this community, its people, and its future success. Continuing to revitalize downtown, focus on economic growth, and improve our quality of life is of utmost importance to me.
“I remain committed to continuing the Gilroy tradition of vision and planning. I am committed to continuing the work with our current council and our new future council members and Mayor. I am committed to ensuring that Gilroy continues to be a wonderful place for all people to live.”
This past year has been a very difficult one for our community, starting with the tragedy that occurred at the Garlic Festival. That dark day showed how resilient we as a community really are and proved we are GILROY STRONG. And now with this unprecedented pandemic that has had an impact on everyone in our community from youth to elderly, from small businesses to large, I have seen firsthand the outpour of support for those detrimentally affected. This pandemic will bring many more challenges for us as a community to face. Economic recovery is of vital importance. Now more than ever, it is critical that Gilroy residents elect a leader with the right kind of experience to help guide our city’s response to these trying times, and beyond. I bring the experience, expertise, and proven record to keep the city growing in the right direction.
My 16 years of public service on Community College Board, Gilroy School Board, and now City Council gives me the proven leadership to hit the ground running so I can continue to be your voice and work on your behalf. I know how to get things done at City Hall. I’ve seen our budget through good times and now some very difficult times. I believe this knowledge and experience have prepared me to continue being the best representation of our diverse views at City Hall.
As your city councilman, I will continue listening openly to the issues, concerns, and suggestions of all our community members with the goal of building a better Gilroy, one that thrives economically and maintains that “small town” feel in our neighborhoods, while also addressing infrastructure. We live in a great city! Let us continue working together to make it an even better place to live, work, and play!
In closing, I bring positive energy and proven leadership to the council. Please consider voting for me on November 3rd. Thank you Gilroy for your support!
- San Jose State, Master’s Degree, Counseling/Education
- Saint Mary’s College Moraga, CA. B.A. Psychology
- Stanford University Palo Alto, CA. Continuing Studies Program
- City of Gilroy – City Councilmember (2016 – Present)
- Gilroy Unified School District – President, Board of Education (2008 – 2016)
- Vice President, (CLSBA) California Latino School Board Association (2014 – 2016)
- San Jose/Evergreen Valley College District Vice President, Board of Trustee (2002 – 2006)
- President, California Association of Latino Community College Trustee’s (2004-2006)
- Board Member, (CCCT) California Community College Trustees (2004-2006)
- Co-Founder – South County Youth for Change
- Former Board Member- Youth Alliance of South County
- Former Board Member- YMCA Mt. Madonna of Silicon Valley
- Founder- Trustee Fred Tovar Education Scholarship
- Founding Member: Latino Leadership Alliance & Leadership Academy (Partnership/Stanford)
- Mentor: Enlace Program, Puente Program, and MESA Program at various colleges
- Member: CA. Community College Central Coast EOPS Consortium Region IV
AWARDS AND HONORS
- 2014 Saint Mary College of California Signum Fidei -Alumni of the Year Award
- Stanford University School of Medicine PCAP Excellence Award
- Chinese (Shandong) Delegate Educational Award
- Enlace and Puente Programs Mentor Award
- Vietnamese Culture Association Appreciation Award
- California Community College Extended Opportunity Programs and Services Award
- San Jose City College/Evergreen Valley College Appreciation Award
- State of California Chancellor Diversity Award
- Community Agency for Resources Advocacy and Services – Community Champions Award